Thursday, February 18, 2010

The sky in Iraq is so clear, I could see every star so clearly sparkling against the black infinity...?

In 2005, late at night and we were waiting to depart on another routine patrol. I was the gunner for the last vehicle and I sat in my turret staring up at the sky. What happened next completely blew my mind. The star shined a little brighter for about a second and then vanished.





Does anyone know anything about an exploding star in 2005?


I dont exactly remember the month, but I believe it was either May of June. Thanks.The sky in Iraq is so clear, I could see every star so clearly sparkling against the black infinity...?
What you probably saw was not a star, but an Iridium satellite. These have solar panels which reflect sunlight in very specific directions, causing them to flare in exactly the way you describe. These flares are predicted with great accuracy on this web site:


http://www.heavens-above.com/





These flares are extremely directional, so that by driving a few miles you can put yourself in exactly the right spot, and the web site gives you the information to do this. Some are bright enough to be seen in daylight.





Exploding stars that are bright enough to see with the naked eye are extremely rare. Also, they don't change brightness quickly enough to be seen to be visibly changing.The sky in Iraq is so clear, I could see every star so clearly sparkling against the black infinity...?
I've seen lights like that too.





What you probably saw was the landing light of an aircraft 100 miles away coming straight at you and then making a 90 degree turn.





Could also been an 'Iridium Flash'.





These are from the stainless steel reflector panels on communications satellites built by Iridium of Bethesda, Maryland. The sun sometimes reflects off these panels making people think they've seen anything from super novas to UFO's.





Thank you for your service. I hope you're home now, safe and sound with your loved one's where you belong. If not: Don't be looking up at the stars when you're on night time patrol. I don't want you being another number on the casualty count.
Several good answers there. I live in Florida, where the sky isn't exactly black. I saw the sky from a gravel road on the Gaspe pennsula in Canada one night in 1972. I'll never forget it. Children today have had that stolen from them.
It's possible you saw a point meteor - most meteors move across the sky but sometimes you'll see one that's heading straight for you (albeit a long way away) so it looks like a star that vanishes.
May of been sunlight glinting off of an satellite solar panels. A way to find out is to use the link below.





You'll need approximate time, date and location.
Yes an iridium satellite flare. The web site heavens above has prediction times and dates for these flares.
  • Cats
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment