Monday, February 22, 2010

I have sen lightning coming from a clear blu skie. (At night, stars all around me) What the h... was it?

dry heatI have sen lightning coming from a clear blu skie. (At night, stars all around me) What the h... was it?
could have been heat lighteningI have sen lightning coming from a clear blu skie. (At night, stars all around me) What the h... was it?
It's called ';heat lightning,'; caused by a build-up of charged particles in the air.





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_lightn鈥?/a>





Few scientists believe in ';heat lightning.'; They insist it's just lightning too far away to hear the tthunder. Some say it happens only at night.





Having seen heat lightning in broad daylight, I know it occurs during the day. It is usually far off, so it may be you can't see the clouds. When I saw it, I was walking home from school and when I got home, the news was all over the radio about the famous Worcester tornado. That was the direction I saw the lighning in, from Leominster, 12 miles away.
Lightning actually does strike ';from the blue';. Sometimes a lightning flash will travel for miles from the point of origin before it strikes. There are 3 different kinds of lightning, cloud to cloud, cloud to ground, and ground to cloud. I don't remember the specifics of what makes a lightning strike ';skip'; but I know it is possible. I would consider myself fortunate to have seen this and even more fortunate that I did not see it ';up close and personal';.

No comments:

Post a Comment